top of page
  • Writer's pictureDGC

Hazchem Signage

Updated: Nov 16, 2020

Who needs a Hazchem signage?

According to the Health and Safety at Work (Hazardous Substances) Regulations 2017, if you hold class 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 8 substances on site, that trigger the threshold for signage as per schedule 3 page 497 of hazardous substance regulation.

Why do I need it?

The Hazchem signage stating the hazardous substances are present in the area, the general type of hazard of each of them (there is a pictogram for each substance), and it describe the immediate response action that needs to be taken in an emergency to warn and advise the emergency services, visitors and you workers as well as the protection or precautionary measures they should take.

Where should the signage be?

Remember the purpose of signage is to warn the emergency response team and members of the public as they approach the building.

When a workplace contains hazardous substances you need to see the signage:

  • At any entrance to the premises

  • At any entrance to the building

  • At the entrance of any room or compartment within the building where hazardous substances meet the threshold

  • Note - Type B-D external storage are considered buildings. If it triggers signage, signage is at the entrance to premises and on the door of the type store.

What to put on the sign?

There are 2 different kinds of Hazchem signage:

Regulation 2.6(1) applies to all buildings containing the threshold amount of hazardous substances

Regulation 2.6(5) applies to the entrance of rooms and or compartments and outdoor locations containing the threshold amount for signage

EXAMPLE: Type B store 251L 3.1B - Mixing room 250L 3.1B - 270kg LPG location

Signage will be placed:

  • All entrances will have signage type 2.6(1)

  • The type B store, will have signage type 2.6(5) (it meets the threshold)

  • The LPG will have signage type 2.6(5)

  • The mixing room does not trigger and therefore does not have signage

Where can I buy it?

DGC can now provide signs, simply contact us.

DGC advice: It is important to buy quality signs, you will have to place signage outdoor and indoor, it needs to resist against rain, sun etc. every signage needs to be clear and easy to read in case of an emergency.

More information:


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page